Google reports in its 5 stages of travel:
More than 87% of travelers expect to take the same or more number of personal or business trips in 2011 versus years past. This outlook is positive, and with the rise of mobile, social and video behaviors, we are now seeing seeing travelers move through five key stages of travel. Here are some insights within each stage:
- Dreaming: 68% of business travelers watch travel-related online videos. Among them, 68% are thinking about a trip.
- Planning: The average traveler visits ~22 travel related sites during 9.5 research sessions prior to booking. 85% of leisure travelers consider the internet their main source of travel planning.
- Booking: 37% of leisure travelers report that the internet prompted them to book, up from 28% two years ago. 53% of travelers plan to increase comparison shopping this year.
- Experiencing: 70% of business travelers check into their flights/hotel with their mobile device. Almost 1 in 4 hotel queries come from a mobile phone. Over 50% of travelers use mobile phone or device for travel-related information.
- Sharing: About 1 in 3 business travelers have posted reviews online of places they’ve been.