What is a Media Room on a website?
A Media Room, sometimes called a Press Room or News Room, is a group of pages on a site that makes it easy for the media to find interesting, reliable, and usable information.
Why should you have a Media Room?
Print and online journalists, radio and TV researchers and producers, and other media people use the internet on a daily basis to find good ideas and material to film, write and speak about. The searchability of the web makes it an ideal tool to help meet their voracious appetite for new information and unique angles.
What should you put in your Media Room?
Few media rooms contain everything listed here. Don’t be afraid to begin with just one component, then add more as you can. Here are some tips for what to include in your media room:
- Aim for a comprehensive online file of press releases, articles, interviews, podcasts and videos about your property or travel destination. You may replicate them – each living on it’s own well-optimized page – or link to the pages on other websites where they appear.
- Have a reference page that gives a quick, factual summary of your property. Example: Rusty Parrot Fast Facts
- Provide a selection of high-quality, downloadable photo images which others may use. Make certain they are accompanied by well-optimized titles and descriptions. Balance scenery with action and human interest. Choose images that target your demographics. Example: Gunnison Crested Butte Photo Library
- Create bios and credentials for yourself and your key hospitality staff members, such as chefs and concierges. Include great photos of staff in action, as well as head shots. For human interest, do a short interview – ask for tips, how they got into their professions, their favorite recipe or something similar. Example: Rusty Parrot Backgrounders
- Write compelling descriptions of your area and its events, in standard lengths of 300, 500, 800, 1,000 and 1,200 words. This makes it very easy for a writer to use your articles with little or no editing when they need quick filler material.
- Collect a page of great quotes and recommendations from real guests who will allow you to print their names and hometowns. Example: Fechin Inn Reviews
- Include a schedule of events for your property or travel destination and your area to provide the media with additional ideas and angles for future stories and news coverage.
Is there any other benefit to a Media Room?
- From a Search Engine Optimization standpoint, a media room is a slam dunk. It gives you a vehicle with which to create plenty of interesting content for your website, and allows you to optimize more pages for area events and attractions.
- From a visitor’s point of view, anything that has been written, recorded or filmed about your property is usually seen as a recommendation. It also gives prospective travelers the information they crave about what there is to see and do in your locale.
To see shining examples of well-done media rooms, please click on these links:
Rusty Parrot News Releases – from this page, you can use the drop down menu to navigate to other areas of the Rusty Parrot’s News Room, such as Images and Press Kits.
Mary Bowling – Blizzard Internet Marketing, Inc.