Day One of an exciting SMX Travel Conference is almost over. SMX Travel@PhoCusWright 2007 is a Search Marketing Expo.
One topic that many people advocated was retargeting or remessaging. This is a banner ad technique that shows your banner advertisements to people after they visit your site, over a period of weeks and months for branding purposes. Apparently, it increases the likelihood they will return to your website at a later date and actually book. Finally, banner ads that might work! I think we will be giving this a try.
Some fun facts shared by different SMX Travel speakers:
- 67 percent of online searches are driven by an offline “impression” like word-of-mouth, TV, Radio, etc. In other words, online searches are heavily impacted by offline activities. The recommendation is that SEO marketers look around in the real world for keyword opportunities (their competitor’s advertising often) and target those words. (David Feldman from Iprospect who gave a nice presentation on capturing search demand that is created by others).
- There are 70 million blogs. Geesh. (Mark Phillip from SearchForecast).
- Tubemogul.com is a great tool for managing video uploads according to Jon Schepke (from Strategic Internet Marketing Partners, Inc.). Jon gave a nice presentation that touched on Video SEO (aka Video Distribution) which I heartily agreed with.
- 82 percent of travel buyers prefer consumer reviews over hotel’s websites (Jon Schepke).
- Dena Yahya from onetime.com (sister site of viritualtourist.com) shared some good long-term strategies about buying PPC keywords … I liked that she compared Glenwood Springs, Colorado, with Orlando, Florida, as her example.
- Alexandra Mickel from MSN Live Search said MSN is releasing a Webmaster Tools portal this week.
- Chris Sherman was a great moderator today!
Check out Marty Weintraub’s more detailed posts during today at the AimClear Blog.